Then, last week, I got cranky. I spent five minutes on a bench on Coronado Beach and you agreed to sit with me. Afterward, via social media and email, I received over 45 comments and 23 "likes." Lesson learned? People like a cranky blogger every now and then, even in paradise. Thank you for your inspiring words. I especially liked being compared to Chelsea Handler. Oh, and thanks to the many people who wrote to tell me they would buy my book. So much appreciated. Now I just need to write it.
I'm still preparing for the San Diego State Writer's Conference, so I'm leaving you with the Top Five Random Facts About Me. This is so dorky. Like you care.
Top Five Random Facts About Me
- I'm fairly certain I can trace my lineage to Reese Witherspoon. I'm related to John Witherspoon, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. I heard Reese interviewed awhile back, and she claimed she is also related to him. She doesn't know about me, and I'm sure if she did she'd be totally humiliated. So sorry to break the news, Reese. I do love everything you wear. Your kids are cute and I love your movies. I'm just sayin'.
- We have a mastodon molar in our family. (Reese is now even more terrified.) My mom found it while digging a pond on a farm in the Midwest. It has a cavity.
- My Coronado beach cottage is quirky. It's been renovated many times over the years. Now there's a window in my closet. No joke. There are also a few floral-inspired stained glasses windows visible from the outside of my house, yet concealed with drywall on the inside. Don't ask.
- My friend Jennifer Lyn King is the reason I decided to start blogging. She's a well-rounded, delightful person, and I'm so proud to call her one of my besties. Be sure to read more about Jen's life in the Czech Republic here. You'll love it.
- I once achieved a perfect 100/100 oral argument score at a national moot court competition. The topic? A constitutional law issue. I hadn't even taken con law yet. I was rather pleased with my B.S. quotient until the judge confessed she thought I was Rowena (Jean Louisa Kelly) from Mr. Holland's Opus. It was 1995, I think, shortly after the movie debuted. Thanks, Jean.
|Boat in Sun|
(Awesomely amateur iPhone photo credit: Carrie Keyes)
*The YouTube song of the week is Mateo's Get to Know Me.
(Carrie Keyes is the author of the blog Pencil in Paradise. You can find Paradise at home, www.sandiego.com and www.eCoronado.com. Carrie is also on Facebook (search Pencil in Paradise) and Twitter @CarrieKeyes.)